Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Make Ahead Recipe: Beef Stew No. 1

I have about 5 Beef Stew Recipes.  I like them all for different things.  One is sweeter, others are more savory, some have a thick, creamy base, others are in thinner.  This one is pretty savory and a bit on the thin side, so I serve it with a slotted spoon for the kids who don't like it too soupy.  For myself I dish all the yummy juices over some mashed potatoes!  We all enjoyed it and the kids liked it even better the next day for lunch.

Beef Stew No. 1

1 pound stew meat
2 cups beef stock
1 cup tomato sauce (I used strained tomatoes)
1 14oz can of Fire Roasted diced tomatoes (or what ever kind suits your fancy)
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
Toss it all in a freezer bag and freeze flat.  Thaw 24 hours then put in slow cooker on low for 8-10 hours.  Serve with applesauce, mashed potatoes or pita bread (which my kids are enamored with right now). 

Huck is actually a pretty good eater as long as what we eat doesn't contain cheese.  He will drink milk, but hates cheese. He says it makes his mouth feel weird. That's how some of my allergies started, so no cheese for him!
Noodle is a wimpy eater in general.  She isn't necessarily picky, but she doesn't eat much of anything. 
Probably why she is so tiny, but I don't want to force her.

No comments:

Post a Comment